Tilapia Burrito Bowl with Healthy Avocado Crema: We are trying to lay low on refined carbohydrates, so Mexican dishes with Quinoa have become a MUST. This meal is gluten free and is inspired from two other recipes:
Burrito Bowl – recipe adapted from lovegrowswild.com – I added a little extra spice to this recipe
Avocado Crema – recipe adapted from thecafesucrefarine.com – I adapted this recipe by replacing the half & half for coconut milk. I also added a little extra spice and lemon. Coconut milk allows for the crema to maintain a creamy flavor using a ‘better-for-you’ ingredient.
The amount of coconut milk used in this recipe is minimal… but I’ve also been on a coconut kick lately. So I feel inspired to let you know about some of the health benefits of coconut milk:
1- It may aid weight loss: People who include healthy faits in their diet (such as the fats found in coconut milk – medium chain triglycerides) don’t eat as much as those who don’t eat enough fat. The medium chain fatty acids may also improve heart health.
2- Coconut milk contains lauric acid, which is used by the body to help fight certain viruses and bacterias.
3- Fatty acids in coconut milk may also contribute to healthy skin and hair!
Enjoy this delicious gluten and dairy free option for dinner, and save the leftover crema for a taco night later in the week!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 medium tilapia filets
- 6 cup cooked quinoa
- 15 oz. can black beans
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 roma tomato
- 2 ripe avocados
- prepared avocado crema
- Mix chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red cayenne pepper in a small bowl
- Combine avocado oil and lime juice in a separate bowl
- Wash and pat dry tilapia filets, and then baste with avocado oil and lime juice mixture.
- Season both sides of fish with seasoning mixture
- Heat grill to medium heat (about 300-325 degrees)
- Grill tilapia about 3-4 minutes on both sides
- Assemble bowls using about ¾ cup of cooked quinoa, and desired amount of black beans, diced tomato, cilantro, tilapia, avocado and avocado crema.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ¼ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoon unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon Sriricha chili sauce
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- Combine avocado and greek yogurt in food processor and blend until smooth (you may need to scrape the sides of the food processor halfway through)
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again until smooth
- Option: add more coconut milk to make avocado crema thinner;
- Can be stored in refrigerator for 1-2 days