—> French Toast Casserole Recipe <—
French Toast Casserole Recipe
I only aim to please on christmas morning. With a classic of course – french toast… as a casserole. Yum.
French toast is a carb heavy meal, so I wanted this recipe to be as protein packed as possible. Eggs are a fabulous addition here… but I wanted to take it a step further… so…
I added Almond butter. Yes. And it’s delish!
Why almond butter?
My frequent and favorite grab-and-go breakfast is almond butter on toast. And I figured it would be a prime addition as a french toast topping.
Almonds are a hailed superfood. Roasted almond butter can be purchased at many stores including Costco and Whole Foods… but nothing is as delicious or nutrient rich as the almond butter I make at home with RAW almonds and coconut oil <— coconuts = another nutrient packed superfood.
This Recipe Is:
Made with All Natural Sweetener (100% pure maple syrup)… I heart the Costco brand.
& EASY! … so Easy.
I replaced dairy milk with almond milk in this recipe. If you would like to make this recipe to meet 100% clean eating standards:
- Sub the almond milk for full fat organic dairy milk.
- While shopping for ingredients at Whole Foods… I cam across a brand of Almond milk made with only 2 ingredients! –> almonds + water…. AND it’s made with even more almonds then any other brand I’ve seen yet… making its’ protein/ healthy fat/ nutrient content much higher and more natural. The only down side to this brand is that it is costly. The brand is Three Trees, and I think the product seems great. If you have the extra $ to spend on this beverage… I’d say do it!
- And… use a bread such as Ezekiel 4:9 bread instead of hamburger buns.
- I used the 365 Organic brand hamburger buns… because I generally understood and felt good about the ingredients on the label + because I wanted my french toast to be more fluffy as opposed to dense.
Happy Holidays All… and Happy Holiday breakfast… and Happy French Toast Casserole Recipe! Enjoy 🙂
- 7 Whole Grain Hamburger Buns (cubed)
- 1 Cup Almond Butter
- 3 ripe bananas (sliced)
- ¼ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Cups Almond Milk
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Pecan Pieces
- Place about ½ of your cubed hamburger buns in a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Using a spoon, dollop almond butter evenly over hamburger buns.
- Place remaining hamburger buns on top.
- Place banana slices evenly over the top of your dish, and then sprinkle pecan pieces over that.
- In a separate bowl combine maple syrup, almond milk, eggs and cinnamon with a whisk. Pour this mixture evenly over your casserole.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes - but you can refrigerate overnight to have an easy make breakfast in the morning.
- Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes covered with foil.
- Remove foil and bake for a remaining 20-25 minutes until a knife is inserted and comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm with extra maple syrup and bananas if you desire.