Energy Bites Recipe:
Here in Utah… “Go-Dough” seems the big thing when working out. Go Dough = delicious little energy bites made without genetically modified ingredients to fuel your workout.
I actually LOVE go dough. I think it’s super delicious… but it can be expensive! The good stuff usually is.
So we decided to get crafty one day… back when we were training for a triathlon (which may or may not have actually happened… oops)…
and we created an energy bites recipe of our own… much more affordable!
These energy bites are made with nuts and seeds and a natural sweeteners – pure maple syrup and raw honey.
Yesterday I was making these energy bites so that I could post them here today… and I realized that they didn’t photograph well.. so I added the coating (honey, pecans and shredded coconut flakes) to make them prettier… but… it also made them taste even better than they did before: bonus!
These bites are perfect for multiple occasions: fuel your workout with some energy, recover from your workout with some natural protein (whey and soy free)… enjoy as a midnight snack… or as a make ahead breakfast so you can run out the door in the morning when you have places to be!
One of my biggest woes as I still am breastfeeding my daughter is that I get SO HUNGRY at night. I hate that. I don’t want to eat all night long and brush my teeth over and over.
My solution lately has been to eat one of these bites before I get ready for bed… and the protein holds me over throughout the night so that I don’t wake up hungry! Allowing me to get a better night of rest too.
All and all… I love these little bites. They’re so good and they are so good for you. I make them all the time.. and clean up is easy… just wash out the food processor
FYI!: This recipe will yield about 9-10 bites. And I usually eat about 2 in one sitting. Store in the fridge to keep them fresh.
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- ¼ cup Chia Seeds
- ¼ cup Ground Flax Meal
- ¼ cube Chopped Almonds
- ¼ cup Chopped Pecans
- ⅛ cup Pumpkin Seeds
- ¼ cup Macadamia Nuts
- ¼ cup Water
- ⅛ - ¼ cup Raw Honey
- 1/16 - ⅛ cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ⅛ cup Honey
- ½ cup Shredded Coconut Flakes
- ¼ cup Chopped Pecans
- Place all 'Energy Bites" ingredients in food processor and blend until it is a dough like consistency (about 3 minutes).
- Scoop dough on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Combine coconut flakes and pecans (from energy bite topping ingredients) into a small bowl
- Remove energy bites from refrigerator and coat first with honey and then roll in coconut/ pecan mixture (energy bite topping). Enjoy right away, or keep fresh in refrigerator!